Saturday, July 2, 2011

Hello Mudda, Hello Fadda

Hello Mudda, Hello Fadda,  I am here at Camp Tigara...
I've been at summer camp this month. This isn't just any summer camp, mind you. I signed up to experience camp the Iñupiaq way. For me, it's all part of my education...to live and work among the Iñupiaq and learn what makes up their unique way of life.  
  I will digress a little here. We were in Juneau for most of the month of May. We visited friends, worked on the boat, enjoyed the Jazz and Classics Festival. We were treated to some good weather and to some that wasn't so good...in fact, during the first week, I told some people that I hadn't been warm since I'd left Barrow! We were no longer accustomed to the damp and the rain that makes Juneau the beautiful rain forest that it is.  
  Many folks wanted to know what our year in Barrow had been like and if we liked it. I often said it's like living in a foreign country...we are in the minority, there is a definite change in culture, and we don't speak the indigenous language. That's not a bad thing, it's cause for exploration and that is what I've been doing all this year and what I continue to do. When I lived in France in the 70s, I learned everything I could about the way of life of the people and became fluent in the language. This camp experience is a great boost to learning about the ways of the Inupiat, history of the people and the land, and offered a boost in my vocabulary! 
June 7, 2011 
  The journey begins with breakfast at Ilisagvik College with many of our fellow campers. We are going to Point Hope in a few hours and are meeting ahead of time to get an overview and make sure we understand some basics, like bear safety. 
  You are surely aware of the protective nature of mama bears. A mama bear, protecting her young is even fearsome to a male bear! So, if you ladies come across a polar bear unexpectedly, pull up your shirt and flash the bear! Yes, seriously! 
The bear will think you're a fierce mama bear, and as the story goes, the bear will go away. Of course you men are out of luck, it only works if you have some proof of gender...so to speak. 
  This is one of my favorite tools in the arsenal I am gathering. They made sure we knew about bear safety, because we're going to Point Hope during hunting season...polar bears, especially, are not an uncommon sight. Were they pulling our collective legs? Hmm...maybe. What I do know is that every Inupiaq woman with whom I spoke about this knew this strategy. I never came across anyone who had used it, and I am pleased to say I did not have to test out the veracity of this story!

No comments: