Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Signs of Winter

Wow, it's been warm! Really...double digits above zero and hardly any wind. Plus, it's getting lighter every day. In one week we gained about 90 minutes of daylight. Warm weather and light days mean spirits are up, as you may imagine.
I have to introduce you to my new BFF. This smiling man is James. I caught him the other morning completing one of his many tasks. He was brushing the street signs. This hadn't occurred to me before, but when the wind blows the snow around, the street signs just can't be read. Never mind that no one really pays attention to the street signs. Did I already tell you that addresses are just given as numbers? There are no repeating address numbers in Barrow or Browerville, so we often see Garage Sale signs that just list the address. Kind of tough for newbies, but I do know that the 2000s and 3000s are in Browerville. I also know that if someone lives in the 800s, they live somewhere near me. Directions are usually given with landmarks; also difficult for the newbie.
Now I have a mystery for you to solve. What do you suppose this is? As you try to figure this out, keep in mind that Husband came upon it. It had been very cold the week before. A hint: it does not belong in the fungi family. Also, as you scratch your head in wonder, keep in mind the placement of this item; it is on/in a snow bank. We figure the blowing winds uncovered the shape of the object. Also, pay close attention to the color and some cautionary words we have about this color and snow. Ah...I fear I've given it away, now!

No comments: