Sunday, January 23, 2011

Alappaa!

It was -42℉ when I got up at 8:00 a.m. By the time we went for a walk with the dogs, it had warmed up to -40℉ (with a windchill of about -60℉). Alappaa means it's really cold outside! But we are not deterred! It is the day before official sunrise, so we went out to see what we could see.
Let me help you imagine what it takes to get ready to go out in this weather. I donned wind-stopper ski pants, followed by heavy duty fleece pants under my insulated ski pants. This was followed by turtleneck, sweater, fleece vest, goose down sweater, then my parka. Finally put on my insulated Sorel boots, fleece lined scarf for face cover, fleece hat under seal skin hat and seal skin gloves. As you can imagine, it takes a minimum 15 minutes to get all of this gear on to go out (not to mention getting the booties and coats on the dogs!). We "warmed up" the car for 20 minutes before heading out. I use that term lightly as it really wasn't warm at all by the time we left.

My feet are cold!
Climbing the snow mountain at Freshwater Lake

The real story today is the pending sunrise.

















My understanding is that today is really a refracted image of the sun; it's not really over the horizon, yet. Tomorrow is the BIG day. Nonetheless, it was an indescribable view, so I took lots of pictures for your viewing pleasure!

Traditional Sled with Modern Sled at CakeEater Rd.

No comments: