Monday, May 10, 2010

Mutts and Mukluks

I got sucked in over the weekend watching season 5 of the Deadliest Catch. Husband got me hooked on Netflix instant delivery via the Wii. I became engrossed in the trials and tribulations of the crab guys and pretty much whiffed on the box packing for a day. These guys are so interesting to watch because the conditions they work in are so amazing. They're out there in hurricane force winds and getting doused by water in below freezing temps. And mostly they're doing it for the adventure factor. Hmm..I seem to be able to relate to the adventure factor. I just don't think I want to go that far!

Check out these mukluks that Alaska sister-in-law sent a picture of. These are the real thing and what keep your feet warm in the extreme temperatures we can expect at the "Top of the World." How fabulous that she has offered to let me have them if they fit. I'll truly be styling.

I admit I've been worried about the paws of our Border Collies in the extreme weather we will be moving to. Though born in Juneau, the "girls" haven't ever experienced what they're about to, though they did spend the first year of their lives on the ski slopes in Juneau learning search and rescue. We didn't continue after the first year, but that's another story.

So, wouldn't you know it, Husband comes up with a solution for them. Can you guess the name of doggy shoes for the Arctic? Sounds like mukluks. The suspense must be killing you...Look at them wearing their new shoes! These are their Muttluks! HA! I love the name.

You should have seen us at the store. I had both dogs in tow and sat down in the doggy outerwear aisle (yes, both of the major chain pet places have one). I had them try on two sizes of the shoes, then conferred with the sales folks to see if they thought one size was better than the other. I even had the girls walking up and down the aisle to make sure of the "fit." After all, it was Mother's Day and I was doing what all mothers do when their kids need new shoes.

Now, we're spending time each day breaking them in. The girls both walk kind of funny for the first few minutes, but once I throw the ball, they tend to forget about the boots. So far we're only up to shoes on the front paws. I think getting all fours in the gear will be an interesting project.

No comments: