Sunday, October 24, 2010

Quppiq!

I think we should start this post with memories of the sunny days we had this summer in Barrow. Because they are a memory, that's for sure. It's been a bit nippy here lately. Not anywhere near as cold as it will get, mind you. However, when it's 25∘and the wind is blowing 20 mph, (that makes it about 8∘) you start thinking of the warm days of the past.
I think the "girls" are thinking about the sunnier days, too. It wasn't so cold on the day we took this picture as it was windy. They didn't seem to mind until we'd been out for about 45 minutes. It was like a timer went off and we had two dogs that seemed to be asking when the torture would be over!

Colder weather also brings thoughts of outer wear. What am I going to wear to keep me warm? Do I have the clothes I'm going to need?, etc.
I'm quite lucky in that I work with one of the best known sewers here in Barrow. [She makes many of the outerwear pieces you see folks wearing...mostly those of us who are visitors as sewing is a tradition passed on from the women to the women...most of them do their own sewing. Younger girls learn from their mothers or grandmothers (Aakas).] You see beautiful parkas all over town. It's not a fashion statement, it's a statement of what to wear to keep warm, especially in the windy climate. Yes, down jackets will do, but they seriously do not hold a candle to the traditional parka.
My colleague and sewer extraordinaire agreed to make a parka for me. She has made parkas for two of my other officemates and they are beautiful! All I had to do was pick out my outer material, the fur for the ruff (siƱa) and get the lining (8 oz. weight). Remember I told you about the cleaners where all of the fabric and fur is located? So off we went on a Saturday to pick it out. 

The outer material of the parkas (known as Quppiqs) is typically veleveteen. I also had to be sure I didn't "match" the parkas my officemates already had. What a
Yes, I am in there!
fashion faux pas (or faux paw!) that would have been. And you have to think about the fur trim, the ruff. I had to decide which fur went best with the teal fabric I picked out. When you don't have your own skins to use, you get them at the cleaners, and it's mostly fox. I picked the silver fox that had lots of black as well. It's really a project to "begin with the end in mind".

Magically, and it was just like magic, she arrived with my Quppiq really not long after I gave her the material and she took my measurements.

The most amazing part is the hand embroidered trim. All of the triangle designs are done by hand. Being the artist that she is, she picked the colors and incorporated the silver to match the fox ruff.



 I get why fur is used for the ruff on the hood and the hem. It really keeps you warm. As I stood in the wind today to have Husband take this picture, I was toasty warm and it was blowing about 15 at the time. You can see it's not exactly a warm day outside. Thanks to my friend, I am clothed to meet the Arctic chill, so I say, bring on the weather, I am READY!

No comments: