Friday, July 16, 2010

Hauling Assets

Happy one week to us! This week has been full of events. Our Internet was connected, making us feel as though we are indeed part of the world population. We've received some mail in our post office box, making us feel as though we are bonafide residents. And some of our boxes have arrived.

This order of the box arrival is interesting. They don't arrive in the order they were sent, or as a group of boxes that I shipped from the lower 48 on the same day. I usually get a box that was sent on one day paired with a box that was sent a week earlier or later. This didn't make much sense to me until I found out why the boxes are taking so long to get here. Naturally, this tidbit of information did not come to my attention until after we had arrived here in Barrow (and of course, after we had shipped all of our boxes). It turns out that shipping boxes via parcel post to Barrow means they are driven up the haul road, then flown to Barrow from the end of the haul road (which is Prudhoe Bay). The last leg of the journey is 204 miles. You can see by the map the long haul is aptly named. Lesson learned: when possible ship in those flat rate priority mail boxes!
Every day we get a box is like Christmas. Some of the most inane items have delighted us.
For instance, my bathrobe came in a box yesterday, along with my X-tra Tuffs (non-Alaska residents should note the latter are waterproof boots also known as Juneau tennis shoes). These were high on my wish list since we wanted to walk the dogs on the ATV trail and it's still full of mini lakes. I had no idea the boxes would take such a beating! Amazingly, I haven't found any broken items, yet (knock on wood--of which there is very little here!)
What I really wish for, though, (don't laugh, it's a dire need) is for the box of hangers to arrive. Seriously, I thought it was dumb to pack hangers, you may agree with this thinking. UNTIL, you see the price of $3.99 for a pack of 10. Our clothes are in piles around the house right now. I'm seriously considering biting the bullet and making this extravagant purchase this weekend just so I can put my clothes away and be able to find things again.

No comments: